Thank you for visiting Mobile Community Action Agency's utility assistance website. The scheduler is currently closed. Please check back for future opening dates. Thank you.

List of Docs to Provide

Any household member, age 18 or over, who had zero income for the previous month that cannot be verified by a governmental agency (i.e. food stamp award letter, child support letter) must complete and sign the Declaration of Household Income. This form can be obtained by contacting any MCA Community Service Center. NOTE: If you receive SNAP benefits, you must provide your Notice of Action letter from the Department of Human Resources, no exceptions.

Failure to submit all required documentation for your appointment will delay your assistance. IF DOCUMENTS ARE NOT LEGIBLE YOUR APPLICATION CAN AND WILL BE DENIED. We require below documents:

  • Current Picture Identification
  • Social Security Cards for everyone in the household or current proof you have applied for them
  • Birth Certificates for children ages five and under and any other new household members
  • Income Verification for the prior month (all household members)
  • A household which has zero income must complete and sign the Declaration of Household Income. This form is can be obtained by contacting any MCA Community Service Center.
  • Current Utility bill must be in the name of the Head of household or spouse (name must match on all documents).
  • Medical documentation, if applicable, for a LIHEAP crisis determination

Please note - after reviewing your documents we may request additional information to complete your application.

The appointments that are being made are for anyone needing assistance with their Heating bill.


Mobile Community Action seeks to reduce poverty and help low-income citizens of Mobile and Washington counties, Alabama to meet critical needs and become self-sufficient.

Locations of Mobile Community Action's Energy Assistance sites

Please note that you must be a Washington County resident in order to schedule an appointment at the Washington County Community Services Center. If you're not a Washington County resident, your appointment will be canceled.

  • Bayou La Batre - 5650 Old Pascagoula Road, Suite 106, Mobile - (251) 308-2114
  • Hillsdale - 6024 Lorma Dr., Mobile - (251) 343-3351
  • Mt. Vernon - 1200 Park St., Mt. Vernon - (251) 829-5418
  • Northside - 658-A Donald Street, Mobile - (251) 457-9883
  • Plateau/Prichard - 461 Donald Street, Mobile - (251) 457-5700 ext 1146
  • South Brookley - 1600 Boykin Blvd., Mobile - (251) 476-6425
  • South Mobile County - 5650 Old Pascagoula Road, Suite 106, Mobile - (251) 308-2115
  • Washington County - 13563 St. Stephens Ave, Chatom - (251) 847-2721
  • Wilmer/Semmes - 3810 Wulff Rd., Semmes - (251) 645-5266

Within minutes of making your appointment, you should receive a confirmation email with a calendar appointment attached to the email. In addition, you will also receive a phone reminder the day before your appointment.

Appointments can be changed or canceled at any time on this website. You can also make or cancel an appointment at any time (24/7) using our automated phone system by dialing (251) 206-6117 and following the instructions.